CFPUA understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has placed financial strain on many of our customers. We are encouraging customers who are behind on their CFPUA bills and are in need of financial assistance to apply for programs that may help them bring their accounts up to date.
NOTE: Additional assistance programs for CFPUA customers are anticipated to open applications starting in fall 2021. This page will be updated as information becomes available.
¿Necesita esta información en español? Llame al 910-332-6550.
NEW HANOVER COUNTY HOMEOWNER ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
New Hanover County began accepting applications for its Homeowner Assistance Program on September 1, 2021. The program can provide eligible homeowners financial assistance with housing costs, including water and sewer bills.
To be eligible for the Homeowner Assistance Program, a resident must own their home in New Hanover County and meet the following three criteria:
- Have one or more individuals who has qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship during or due to the coronavirus pandemic after January 21, 2020; and
- Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; and
- Have a household income at or below 150 percent of the area median income.
To apply by telephone or for additional questions about this program, please call the Homeowner Assistance Program call center at 910-798-3505.
NEW HANOVER COUNTY EMERGENCY RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
New Hanover County is taking applications for an Emergency Rental Assistance Program, which includes assistance for CFPUA bills for qualified applicants.
An "eligible household" under the Emergency Rental Assistance Program is defined as a renter household in which at least one or more individuals meets the following criteria:
- Qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19;
- Demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; and
- Has a household income at or below 80 percent of the area median income.
It is important to note that CFPUA is NOT administering these programs and that questions should be directed to the New Hanover County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), which can be reached at 910-798-3560.
Customers may qualify for assistance from CFPUA Assist, a program administered by New Hanover County DHHS. The program provides emergency financial assistance for CFPUA water and sewer bills.
For assistance with your CFPUA bill, visit the New Hanover County Department of Social Services at 1650 Greenfield St., Wilmington, NC 28401. You can learn more about the program at https://socialservices.nhcgov.com/services/programs/.