Flow Restrictors

In March 2021, CFPUA is launching a pilot program for delinquent residential accounts. Instead of water service disconnections, residential accounts that are more than 60 days delinquent on their CFPUA bills will be eligible for restricted water service. CFPUA is launching this program due to COVID-19, so that delinquent customers retain access to water for drinking and sanitation.

To have normal water service restored at your home, call CFPUA Customer Service at 910-332-6550 or click here to fill out a contact form

What are flow restrictors?Flow-restrictor

A flow restrictor is a simple device that can be installed on the CFPUA-owned water line connecting to your property. The device significantly limits the flow of water to a house but will still allow customers enough water for drinking and basic sanitation.

Tests by CFPUA staff found that the restrictors will reduce water flow to approximately one to one-half gallon per minute – that’s enough to fill a 12-ounce glass in about 12 seconds.

Why did I get a notice about the program?

Customers whose residential accounts are at least 60 days delinquent are eligible for restricted service. and will be notified via U.S. mail and automated phone call.

Customers who pay the past-due amount on their accounts OR establish a payment plan with CFPUA by the date indicated on their delinquency notice will not be subject to flow restrictor installation.

Will my appliances work?

Some appliances and fixtures may not function as normal with a flow restrictor installed. When a restrictor is installed at your home, water flow will be significantly reduced. Faucets and toilets should continue to work. The restricted water flow will likely NOT be sufficient to take a shower or fill a bathtub.

Appliances that require a large amount of water, such as dishwashers and washing machines, may not function as normal on a restricted flow. CFPUA recommends consulting the appliance’s operating manual for guidance on a restricted water flow.

CFPUA recommends that customers do not operate outdoor irrigation systems while flow restrictors are installed. Customers with separately metered irrigation will have water to irrigation systems shut off while a flow restrictor is installed.

What do I need to do to get it removed?

To have the flow restrictor removed from your home, you must either pay the delinquent amount on your account OR set up a payment plan with CFPUA. 

Once your account is made current OR once you have established a payment plan, CFPUA will generate a work order to remove the restrictor. Water flow at your home will then be returned to normal within one to two business days. Contact CFPUA Customer Service at 910-332-6550 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, or online at www.CFPUA.org/CSForm.

What if I can't afford the amount due?

CFCalendarPUA offers interest-free payment plans for 6-month and 12-month terms. Customers who establish payment plans with CFPUA by the date indicated on their delinquency notice will not be subject to flow restrictor installation. Customers must pay current charges and payment plan installments by the due date indicated on the bill to avoid having the payment plan default.

You may also request a short-term extension on your bill if you will be able to make a payment within 14 days.

You may also be eligible to receive one-time financial assistance through CFPUA Assist, which is administered by the New Hanover County Department of Health and Human Services. The program is income-based, so you will need to contact the department at 910-798-3400 to see whether you are eligible.

Click here for a list of other local and regional programs offering financial assistance.